The Casino de Madrid began in 1836 through
the initiative of a group of 'tertulianos'
that met in the Café de Sólito,
mentioned by 'Figaro' in its articles on
local customs, and which used to be located
on the corner currently occupied by the
The founders rented the ground floor
of the building, located on Príncipe
Street, from the owner of the café
and officially formed the society in January
of 1837. General Fernández de Córdoba,
who was the first manager, explained in
his memoirs that they chose the name 'Casino',
used for the first time in Spain, and
not society or club, 'to distance the
Centre from any political connotation'.
After changing location various times,
the Casino de Madrid decided at the beginning
of the century to construct its own building
in Alcalá Street, using a plan
that synthesised the proposals of the
most famous architectural studios of the
time. It was declared a monument of Cultural
Interest in 1993.